''When you make a choice, you change the future.”
Deepak Chopra


I want to share how I landed a world scholarship (European Union sponsored Erasmus Mundus Masters Programme) with a 3.8 C.G.P.A. Surprised, right? Hey, anything is possible! Just to note this, if you can finish with a higher C.G.P.A, please give it your best.


In 2012, after graduating from the University of Lagos, Department of Political Science, I had the dream of going abroad for my Masters degree programme and I had ¨not so excellent C.G.P.A¨. I wanted a full scholarship. Sincerely, at that period it was really a big dream, I also had little or no work experience. But the next two years I put in a conscious effort to make this dream a reality. I don't intend to bore you with some principles or strategies for success. The truth is that life is made up of principles and you make things happen easily when you know and rightly apply the principles.


The following are principles and strategies I knew and applied, with practical experience:


Vision: In 2012, I had a goal to get an international degree and exposure, to enable solve some of the problems facing the world. This was a good cause and motivation for me to begin my grad school application adventure. It is good, you discover who you are, what you want and where you are going. There were several times I got discouraged of the possibility of getting funded for my grad school abroad. But the vision I had kept me going. Vision also helped me answer the question of purpose, why I needed to get a fully funded Master's degree abroad? which may come to play when writing your Statement of Purpose or Motivation Letter.


Research: After the vision stage, it is research! Information is key, if you are not well-informed, you may be incapacitated. You need to search for schools, scholarships and your compatibility for your intended programme. I practically read everything I found on the internet on grad school application and getting a scholarship. I recommend you to read articles on grad school application written by Mr. Tunde Alawode, he is currently a PhD student at MIT. His articles were the most helpful to me and I also had the privilege of having some online conversations with him which were priceless to my grad school application.


It was in the course of my research I discovered the European Commission, Erasmus Mundus Masters Scholarship. I remembered my first impression was ah! this scholarship is perfect and in line with my vision, #grins! I also got contacts of Erasmus Scholars, they gave necessary advice and counsel related to applying and getting an Erasmus Masters Scholarship. This helped me greatly in preparing a good application. Doing a thorough research, will help you in preparing a strong application. Pour your heart into it!


Service & Learning: During the 2 years of preparing for my grad school, I volunteered in various projects, learnt on a job (which had little financial gratification), became an author, started an NGO etc, all these to an extent gave me a convincing CV.


Offer services and give yourself to personal development. Do not just think about putting up a grad school application and fold your arms. Get busy and engage yourself! I tell people who come to me on grad school application that you should show the admission committee what you have been able to do with the education you have acquired so far.


Maximise every opportunity that comes your way. Be diligent and committed to whatever you do, this is important!


Have Faith and Pray: Every good thing comes from God, so you need God. I prayed, confessed, fasted, believed and sow seeds. And yay! Today I have a testimony.


¨All I know is that when I pray, coincidences happen; and when I don’t pray, they don’t happen¨. ~ Dan Hayes



Wishing you all the best in your grad school application!


Seun Adebayo
Graduate Student under Erasmus Master in Education Policies for Global Development (GLOBED)
Erasmus Masters Scholar (2015-2017)

Post a Comment

 
Top